For long I have suspected that the Quantum Mechanics Theory, which essentially explains the unexpected behaviour of matter observed at nanoscopic scales, holds the key to the origin of the universe as well as the different states of consciousness which exist in our world. Inspite of having this intuitive feeling, I was at a loss to understand this interconnection. The understanding always seemed to be very close yet far away. In vain, I was trying to grasp this tenuous link which like a vision floated in front of my eyes yet could not be converted and turned into a fact.
Instinctively, I however knew that my thoughts were on the right track and kept reading and searching on both Quantum Theory as well as Mind, Body and Soul connection related material produced by the great spiritual masters. I think that now I am on the verge of a breakthrough in understanding the connection which links the Spiritual world with the scientific world. I don’t lay claim to this understanding as something discovered by me alone. Rather, it is a derivation from the pioneering path breaking research work done by the scientists and spiritualists in their respective fields. I have only read them extensively and discovered the linkage between the two. I hope that this seminal work will help in bridging the gap between the science and spirituality.
Before we proceed further and I show the relationship between the two seemingly isolated fields, let me explain some of the terms and concepts which exist in spiritual and scientific world.
Any student and researcher on the path of Spirituality has often come across the words-
Conscious mind and Subconscious mind.
1. What is a conscious mind?
Daily we wakeup, eat, drink, go office, work, worship, etc. The mind which is used by us in our daily day-to-day activities is the conscious mind. All our rational and cognitive functions are executed by our conscious mind. When we perform any action or think from our conscious mind, we are fully aware of our actions and thoughts.
2. What is a subconscious mind?
It is that part of mind which resides in the deep inner recesses of our mind. A normal human being is totally unaware of our subconscious mind. This part of our mind is in constant attunement with the universe and is the originator of our deep seated feelings, attitudes and “miracles” in life. It is a powerful entity which is recognized and harnessed by the great spiritual masters for performing the so called miracles beyond the comprehension of an ordinary human mind. While a normal human being only recognizes its existence after the occurrence of an extraordinary event, a spiritual master controls it to perform such extra ordinary events at his whim and fancy.
From above it is clear that while most ordinary human beings are content in controlling their conscious mind, an evolved soul goes beyond the conscious mind to shape events and move universe as per his will by harnessing the powerful subconscious mind.
What is Quantum Mechanics Theory?
This Theory was originally formulated by the inferences derived by the likes of scientists like Planck, Einstein, Schrodinger, Heisenberg, etc. It states that while all the classical laws of physics are applicable to physical objects that we come across in our day to day life, these laws become void and inapplicable as soon as we come down to nanosized objects like electrons. These extremely small sized object exhibits both particle as well as wave behavior depending on the circumstances.
Double Slit Experiment: This is a classical experiment which was conducted on small particles like electrons (and later even on much bigger masses like Einstein Bose condensate) to show that they exhibit both particle as well as wavelike characteristics under certain conditions. How is that possible? To show a particle like behavior is expected of a solid object. However, it is a real surprise to show that the same object also shows a wave like behavior. To understand what was this experiment, please refer to this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment . A nice animation is available on Youtube to depict the Double slit experiment: www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc. These experiments showed conclusively that matter as we see it in our physical world is having some inherent characteristics which manifest only in certain conditions.
Dual Nature of Matter:
From the above experiment, it was clear that the electron was showing a dual nature, which was unexpected from the electron. However, what was more interesting for the scientists was to find out that this dual nature of matter was exhibited under which two different circumstances! What were the underlying conditions?
A particle when fired, is expected to travel in a straight line and will pass through the slit only if it comes in its path. In case it doesn’t come in it’s path, it will simple be stopped by the screen. Now comes a very interesting part of the experiment: The electron showed particle behavior when it was being observed. This means that a recording apparatus was placed near the slit to record the movement of electron as it approached the screen. Subjected to such a scrutiny, the electron showed movement as predicted by the classical physics, i.e., it moved as per the expected trajectory.
A wave when travelling in a straight path, will get divided if faced with an obstruction(Here by the two Slits) and as a consequence, the wavelets emerging out of the two slits will interfere with each other to create barcode shaped interference patterns. This behavior of a wave is it’s inherent characteristic. But surprise, when electrons were fired towards the two slits, we observe that they too create an interference pattern, as if they are coming in the form of wave, not a particle. A bigger surprise however is that as soon as we start observing the movement of electron using maybe some recording device, they again start behaving like a particle. What does it mean? Is the electron knowing that it is being observed and falls back into particle behavior?
According to Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle, the very act of observing and or recording the motion of electron brings in something more into the system and thus it is impossible to findout simultaneously both the energy (given by momentum) and the position of the moving electron.
But here the behavior of the electron is in fact going one step beyond and making it difficult to classify it. We are confused whether to call it as a particle or a wave!
Relation between mind and matter:
This brings us to some inescapable conclusions which are self –evident to an unbiased mind. The Double slit experiment suggests that what is observed as a solid physical universe composed of objects following the classical laws of physics at macroscopic levels inexplicably turns into a wave of possibilities following a different set of laws as soon as we go at submicroscopic levels. These waves of possibilities will transit into a solid physical single position entity whenever we try to observe, capture and or record this entity and it’s position. This points out that:
1. Universe is primarily composed as a wave function. All that we see, feel, hear, smell, taste- consciously or unconsciously, is basically energy vibrating at a certain frequency. This relationship was long ago defined by Einstein by his equation E=mc2, where E stand for the energy, m for mass and c for the speed of light. Everything is energy vibrating at a certain frequency. However, as soon as we try to measure or observe this wave, the very act of trying to measure brings about a change in the state of energy and the wave function collapses .
2. Any amateur student of spirituality will tell you that the subconscious mind also possesses the same property as above. The subconscious mind manifests itself at different times most unexpectedly when we are least expecting it. The ordinary human dismisses the daily miracles wrought by the subconscious mind as a mere coincidence and moves forward without giving it a second thought. However, a spiritual person understands their significance and gives them the consideration it deserves.
3. However, if he or she tries to observe the spiritual phenomenon consciously or try to see it unfolding as a conscious observer, it just dissolves away. It slips away like sand flowing out of the grip of our hands until that surreal feeling goes away. So, just as an observer forces the electron to once again start following the physical laws of universe, the events too revert back to being regular events without any magic left in them when we try to track them through conscious mind. However, as one progresses in the path of spiritualism and gradually attains a mastery over the handling of the subconscious mind, we are no longer constrained by the universe. What was hiding behind the veil or curtain of the universe is now fully visible to a master and one is able to harness the subconscious mind at will. Not only is that person able to understand the underlying waves behind the events, one is even able to create and manifest physical objects and events just by willing them.
4. The above happens because once a spiritual master has access into the hidden realm of mind, he understands the limitless potential and power of the thought. With a subconscious mind vibrating in tandem with the universe, everything is a wave of possibilities. What will finally manifest in the physical realm is due to a choice exercised by the master.
5. The Spiritual Master has understood the true meaning of following quantum mechanics terms:
· Superposition – An object can exist at multiple places at once
· Entanglement –All objects are interconnected and change in anything in any part of universe affects instantaneously all other objects. This destroys the concept of space and distance.
· Time non linearity- An object can exist simultaneously at multiple times.
He or she is practicing them without naming them as such.
Taken together, the whole universe is composed of infinite possibilities and what we observe on the physical plane is just one of the possibility out of several underlying possibilities, being played out in front of us (THE OBSERVER).
Conclusion: The Quantum Theory which tries to explain the dual nature of matter as it is observed in Universe in fact is a validation of the dual nature of mind- the conscious and the subconscious mind. The physical nature of universe corresponds to the conscious state of our mind while the wave nature of universe corresponds to the subconscious state of our mind. The spiritual aspirant must ignore the physical nature of universe and try to reach to the vibratory core of the universe, whereby all things arise from. This is possible only by discovering and aligning oneself with his or her subconscious mind. Removing the veil covering the subconscious mind will rip open the physical cover, exposing to the discoverer the underlying energy behind the physical aspects of universe.